Old Broadway Synagogue, Manhattanville, West Harlem, NYC
Exuding old world charm, Old Broadway Synagogue is an Orthodox Jewish shul. The little brick building is located on Old Broadway - a vestige splinter of Manhattan's colonial-era Bloomingdale Road, which much later evolved into today's Broadway - between West 125th and 126th Streets. The congregation incorporated in 1911 under the Hebrew name Chevra Talmud Torah Anshei Marovi (which roughly translates as West Siders’ Congregation Torah Teaching Center), but did not erect this building until 1923. Old Broadway Synagogue has endured to become the last affiliated Jewish synagogue in Harlem - formerly New York City's second largest Jewish community, after the Lower East Side - most others having been adapted as Christian churches. In 2001 Old Broadway Synagogue was listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places.